May 11, 2014

Wave goodbye

This week Court and I can begin the process of moving our stuff from our apartment in Troy to our new house in Schenectady. It's a very nice house and I'm excited about the prospect of living in it but cleaning out the apartment makes that excitement a little bittersweet. Our insane, drug-ridden neighbors notwithstanding, I like this apartment and I like Troy. I've lived in a lot of different places in the last decade but few of them ever really felt like "home." This apartment was worthy of that title.

I get overly sentimental about certain things and I do not handle change well. Moving out to New York was the biggest change I'd ever gone through. Even now I still miss Chicago at times. I lived there for six years although it's really only the last two I grow nostalgic about - basically after I graduated college, got a job, and stared what I think of as my "adult life" right up until I left. When I left Illinois it felt like I was leaving home for the first time all over again.

The idea of owning a house still feels pretty daunting and we have a lot of work left to do here at the apartment before the transition is complete. It will be hectic but I know it will be okay in the end. We'll pack our things and say goodbye to this place. Then we're going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment