June 20, 2014

Cheeseburger in paradise

I left the house this morning with a banana in my pocket (an actual banana, because there’s no one I’m particularly happy to see at 7:30 AM). At my old job in Illinois we could get to the office and work for an hour or so before heading out for breakfast - usually McDonald’s or a diner just down the road. And then after working some more we’d go out to lunch too. For someone who loves greasy food as much as I do you’d think eating an egg mcmuffin and a cheeseburger every day five days a week would be a dream come true, and it was up until I gained twenty pounds and passed my afternoons at work feeling like Rob Ford after a long night.

Nowadays I start my day with a banana or oatmeal. There are plenty of times when an egg mcmuffin sounds a lot better than either (especially oatmeal - I like the taste but I’ve never really gotten over the texture, yet I choke it down anyway) but I resist the urge to get one because I’m trying to eat better and I don’t want to have a heart attack. I’ve also traded the cheeseburgers for a bagged lunch I bring from home. Since moving to New York I’ve lost the twenty pounds and then some, I’ve been running more and generally feeling better about myself. Giving up McDonalds and cheeseburgers seems like a small price to pay for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment