June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day

Today is Father’s Day and I’m thinking about my dad and feeling very grateful. The fact that he lives in Michigan means we don’t see one another all that often anymore but that won’t stop me from wishing him a happy Father’s Day. They say that all men eventually become their father and in my case I’m well on my way to becoming a carbon copy of mine. Some of our similarities were intentionally crafted on his part - at a very early age he introduced me to his love of books and music, and now they make up about as big a part of my identity as they do of his. Other commonalities just sort of happened as a result of me looking up to him when I was a kid. My dad ran cross country and track in high school and college, and while he’d hoped I too would be a runner he never pushed me to become one. I did anyway - after a childhood of hearing his running stories and looking at his medals I just sort of assumed that’s what I’d end up doing. I was by no means as successful as him in running but it’s another one of those things that’s become an integral part of my life for which I owe him.

In addition we’re both early risers, we both drink copious amounts of coffee, we both like microbrewed beer, and we’re both highly introverted. We do have some differences - he’s never understood my love for hockey and while he pulls for the Chicago Bears every football season my team has always been the hapless Detroit Lions. But by and large our similarities outweigh our differences. At this point I’m basically just some gray hair and a case of high blood pressure away from becoming my father, and that’s okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment